Friday, March 27, 2009

I have 2 images selected for a juried show

This made my month. Two images I took during a sojourn to New Mexico have been chosen by art critic Eleanor Heartney for the 2009 Southern Open art exhibit at the Lafayette, La., Center for the Arts. The show opens May 9.


Shown are the two submissions that were accepted. Both of these images were taken at two different mission ruins near Mountainair, N.M.


This picture above was made at the Abo ruins one cold afternoon in December. I liked the interplay between the shadows of the beams and the fence posts. This was made with a 148-year-old lens and only a small portion is in focus.



The image above was made the next morning at the Quarai mission ruins. My wife is standing in the doorway. To make a ghost-like image, I had her walk out of the picture after 2 seconds of a 4-second exposure. The lens really helped make this picture, creating a swirl effect of the masonry work in the upper left corner.

1 comment: